The most ignored words in the world.
Most similar phrases taught so different
There are several problems with the ice bucket challenge.
- It’s a gimmick. If a gimmick works, it works, so this fact doesn’t make it inherently bad, but the fact that we have to make a fun or silly activity go viral to get donations or awareness for something is disturbing.
- The Ice Bucket Challenge involves dumping clean water on yourself (bless Matt Damon for using toilet water).
- There is no evidence to suggest that more people are aware of ALS. More people have now heard the acronym “ALS” and know that there is an ALS Association, but that’s not necessarily what we need when talking about saving or lengthening lives effected by ALS. An effective way to raise awareness for ALS would be to make people aware of early warning signs of ALS, as a lot of people don’t notice them or think they’re something else.
- Knowing what ALS is would also make people more likely to donate (considering it causes a horrifically slow and painful death), which brings me to another point. A lot of people are ignoring the fact that one is supposed to donate money. Of course, not everyone can donate money, and that’s fine. But, a lot of people are just completely unaware that donation is supposed to happen and just want to post a video of themselves being ~*brave*~ and ~*quirky.*~
- Donating to ALS loses money for other charities. This is because of a concept called moral self-licensing, which refers to the fact that people who do one “good deed” are less to do another any time soon. People who have done the ice bucket challenge, even those who donated no money, are very likely to not donate anything to anywhere else for quite a while. This is a problem because, while ALS is a serious disease and foundations for rare conditions sometimes need the most help…
- ALS is not considered a threat to the general population. Everyone has every right to donate to whatever they want, no matter how threatening it is, but this jump in donations toward “ALS research” (I’ll get into why I used quotes later) takes money away from foundations dedicated to more threatening conditions (because of moral self-licensing). Here is an infographic from I Fucking Love Science that shows how threatening diseases are to the general population vs. where money is usually donated
- Now, to explain the quotes around “research.” Only 27% of ALS Association funding goes to research. Yes, people need to get paid and all, but people do need to be aware that not even the majority of what they donate is going toward valuable research of a currently incurable terminal illness.
- Because the Ice Bucket Challenge is a popular gimmick, people, like me, who criticize it are completely torn apart on social media. Someone says “hey I think the Ice Bucket Challenge has some flaws and tells us some things about ourselves in the West,” and someone else, who really only cares about the challenge, will google ALS (y’know, because they probably don’t even know what it is), and then explain how serious of a condition it is, causing others to jump in and tell the original person how awful they are.
Doing the Ice Bucket Challenge doesn’t make someone a bad person. People are just following the status quo and doing what is fun and hip. ALS is also a serious condition that, at this point, is incurable and extensive research could change that. However, people are hungry, there are far more common terminal illnesses, and genocides are happening, and dumping cold water over your head and posting a video of it does not give you a free pass to just put up your feet and forget all of that.
That picture in the middle just proves that the donations might have actually helped
Click for more $imilar posts
nigga live in a crack house
homeless sex mattress
mattress discolored as the fuck
mattress soaked in urine and broken dreams
nigga aint got no bed frame but got all that mouth
matters low as fuck, you bunk bed with rats
my nigga why dont u have any sheets under there?
bet u get static shocks all night, you aint grounded bruh bruh
nigga got crack head hand me down furniture
nah hold up a minute NIGGA WHERE IS YOUR FURNITURE?
house empty as shit looking like cj just had a breaking and entering mission in your crib
what do you call this pose ri here? what are u living for bruh?
u was watching 3d porn and through the nut was bout to hit u in the eye
your nipples bout fluffy as the fuck young bull
supple ass nipples bet u can lactate
SON you need burglar bars or something, someone stole another layer of your floor mattress
by time you take your next selfie its just gon be a pillow
Reblogging again bc this won’t ever be unfunny😭😭😭
many of the things wrong with the world can be summed up in this comment
The answer is neither one because they’re too busy inventing awesome shit while you waste your time craving a sandwich your lazy ass couldn’t make half as well as one of them could make their own. Ignorant fuck.